Saturday, November 22, 2008

Why I blog

Several reasons factor into my blogging, most of which is a time stamped documentation as proof that, “I was here.”

I never met either one of my grandfathers nor do I have any of their written words, thoughts, or ideas about the times they lived in. I’m sure back then it wasn’t convenient to grab a goose feather and inkwell. Add to the fact that hemp paper was in short supply and it’s understandable why there’s not much of a written history about my Gramps and how they saw the world. For instance, what did my great grandpa think of Woodrow Wilson and his secret police? Did my surname from generations past grumble and rail against the fascist state set-up by Wilson and FDR? Those questions and more will never be answered, so I’m left blind to the political leanings of my short-distant relatives.

We live in an age where it’s much easier. My purpose is to leave this stuff floating in cyberspace for generations behind me. Hopefully they’ll get a sense of what it was like living during this age. (Side note to my wife; have www.thewayronseesit.blogspot.com written on my tombstone.) This is not a family history, I have little use for Uncle Jed came home from the war and married Aunt Bee. They settled down in Two Egg Florida and raised four kids, blah, blah, blah. While genealogy has its place, you won’t find it here. Now if Uncle Jed protested the “Revenue Act of 1913” then its right up my alley and tell me more.

I completely understand that blogging is not for everyone. Currently two in my family blog and their links can be found on my main page. My brother Rick, whose story about surviving a heart attack will benefit anyone who suddenly found themselves in the same situation. His blog is jammed packed with information and personal stories about living with a heart related illness.

My brother Randall blogs on occasion, mostly when he travels overseas doing the “Lords work.” While not as frequent as Rick’s blog, it’s still insightful about his observations and the things he encounters.

We all need to leave something behind and I can’t think of anything better than words. While not the voice of this generation, I am a voice among many reacting to the times. Jim Morrison said, “No one gets out alive” and it’s true, but we can be heard indefinitely as long as the bandwidth holds up. With all the useless information that’s flooded the Internet maybe it will crash before I do, but for now, I will assume the grand old superhighway will stand until the end of time.

One hundred years from now, if we survive, historians will have a plethora of information. Family members, through ancient blogs, will know us better than their next door neighbor. The future will always be uncertain, but the past, like never before, will only be a click away.

This is the 136th entry I’ve made; none of them would be confused with great works of literature. The best way to sum up my style is, “I get by.” I’ve covered the gamut from running a marathon, to my obsession with grits (and Sarah). I’ve gotten political and rambled on about guys wearing ponytails. Each word may not always be spelled right, but thought has always been in each word. What I write comes to a surprise to those who don’t know me well, and those who know me well, nothing I write surprises them.

This is what I enjoy doing and I hope to do it until they pry my cold dead fingers off the keyboard. With the times that loom ahead of us I’m afraid this blog may take on a darker tone. I try to write with a humorist edge and will do everything I can to keep it that way. During the “Great Depression” (the one in the 1930’s) laughter was in short supply. This generation may soon understand what that means.

My fear tells me hunker down we’re in for a change. My hope tells me we just elected “Hope” and hunker down we’re in for a change.

If all goes as planned, my great-great-great-great-great-great grandson will click on this page and say, “Old Gramps was here.”

2 comments:

Rick O'Shay said...

Well said and thanks for the blog mention. I see you found out how to change your banner. Puts mine to shame. Actually I think my blog is too cluttered.
But I want to use a guote from your post:
"The future will always be uncertain, but the past, like never before, will only be a click away."

Ron said...

Your banner is funny and fits the tone of your blog. I didn't know you could change banners until I saw it on your blog.

You may use the quote by all means.